Fruity rice

Fruit and rice? Not the most common combination, but definitely one of my favourite meals. I have fruity rice every school day for breakfast, as it's insanely fast to make and so delicious you never get tired of it. The thing about it is that you can have it with any fruit you want, so the variation is never-ending.

I got inspired to do this meal by one of my favourite foods from when I was a child, ie. Finnish rice porridge. Finnish rice porridge is eaten for Christmas lunch, but who says you can have it only then?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of any type of vegan milk, as most are salted and full of preservatives. I think the fruit gives a big bunch of flavour to the dish alone. (I like to add two sneaky tablespoons of coconut sugar too c; ).

So guys, I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do!

(Serves 1-2) (10-20 min)

INGREDIENTS:

- 200g of rice (dry weight) (preferably sticky rice/sushi rice)
- fruit of choice (my favourite is frozen raspberries or frozen mango)
- toppings of choice
- coconut sugar (optional)
- 500ml - 1l of water

UTENSILS:

- a sauce pan
- a wooden spoon

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Bring the water to a boil on a high heat and measure your rice.
2. Stir the rice in the boiling water and reduce the heat to medium.
3. Cook the rice for as long as you need to. It doesn't really matter if you overcook it, as it will get stickier and it'll get a more porridgey texture.
4. Stir in the fruit slowly and let it all mix together for 5 minutes.
5. Bring the heat down and mix in some coconut sugar.
6. Pour all the yumminess in a bowl and top with anything you like!

1 comments:

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author