Banana "ice cream" (nice cream)

I've always loved ice cream. I used to eat pints at a time before my eating disorder. But since I've gone cruelty free, and I've never been much of a sorbet person, I had to find myself an alternative.
A few years ago, I heard someone talking about using 2 frozen bananas and making ice cream out of them, and only them! Of course I had to try. I got blown away immediately. It was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. So when I went vegan, I knew what would become my new staple...

Banana ice cream, or nice cream, can be flavoured in so many ways. Only your imagination is limiting it. Either plain, with berries, with carob, with coconut.... it always turns out good no matter what. I like to get wild with my combos just to try, and they never disappoint. 

The key to a perfect banana ice cream is taking out the frozen bananas 20 minutes before you start making it and letting it defrost. This helps the nice cream get creamier and it doesn't break your blender. You guys have no idea how many blenders I have lost due to banana ice cream.
Also, using ripe, spotty bananas is extremely important. They're better for your digestion, sweeter and they taste so much better.

It doesn't matter what you use for the blending process. You could use a food processor, a smoothie blender, a yonanas machine... I personally prefer using a powerful hand blender. It's quite convenient for nice cream making.

Anyways, here's the recipe for a plain banana ice cream. It's not complicated, and everyone can do it without failing. Also, be prepared for your whole family to be stealing your banana ice cream. It's so good.

(Serves 1-2) (30 mins)

INGREDIENTS:
- 6 - 7 frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar

UTENSILS:
- a blender/food processor/hand blender
- a big spoon
- a big mixing bowl (if using a hand blender)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Take 6-7 ripe bananas, chop them into small chunks and put them in the freezer overnight.
2. Take the bananas out 20 minutes before making and let them defrost a bit.
3. Try not to eat the bananas while they're melting even though they look delicious.
4. Pour the frozen bananas in a big mixing bowl, take your hand blender and mix the bananas OR pour the bananas in your food processor/ blender and blend.
5. Mix it up a bit with a spoon so there's no random banana bits and add coconut sugar. Mix.
6. Put it all in your favourite bowl, top with whatever other fruit, dried fruit or sauce you like and enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author